Like many other folks on the Internet,I’ve spent this month conducting my very own lil’ 31 Days Of Halloween viewing festival,although being a guy who doesn’t play by the rules I twisted them a bit to include familiar classics that I haven’t seen in a long time9as well as watched over 31 movies),for I’ve been watching lots of horrors films via DVD,Blu Ray,cable TV,and on-line,for here’s the first installment of the films I’ve seen in the last three-and-a-half weeksIn the order I’ve watched them in)….
* TERROR AT RED WOLF INN(a.k.a.:THE FOLKS AT RED WOLF INN,TERROR HOUSE): a pretty fun 70s film about three ladies invited for a weekend stay at a remote manor that results in only one of them being left and the manor’s residents being starving cannibals,for it’s got a bit of 70s PG-rated gore and contains a WTF twist finale which may or maybe take place in one of the character’s minds.
* DREAM HOUSE: recent theatrical film with Daniel Craig as a man who moves into a new home,only to learn that his family is dead and that he’s been framed for their murders,leading to a suspnseful finale. As badly criticized as it was,I did enjoy it for what it was.
* THE REVENGE OF DR. X(a.k.a.:VENUS FLYTRAP): one of Ed Wood’s script that landed in the hands of Japanese producers,for it’s a ridiculous but enjoyable film about an American(James Craig)determined to create a hybrid of man-meets-venus flytrap,with hilarious results(and an even more hilarious looking creature),as well as a surprisng nude scene of Craig encountering a group of topless pearl divers.
* DEAD SNOW: the Norwegians show they can sling the splatter really good with this ZOMBIE 4:AFTER DEATH-meets-SHOCK WAVES-inspired tale of vacationing teens meeting vicious Nazi zombies,with blood and limbs flying left and right,and the scene of the group pretty blonde reportaire waking up to find zombies eating her intestines is pretty unnevrving.
* THE HOUSE OF SORORITY ROW: grand ole 80s slasher horror that mixes sorority girl antics with a slasher plot as a group of sorority sisters accidently kill their bitchy sorority mother,brining out her mentally unstable son who plays stalk-and-kill with them. Ignore the terrible remake and watch this instead.
* SHAMKA: a decent thriller about a group of college game players being stalked and slain by a killer experimental baboon out for vengeance. Contains plenty of surprises and likeable characters who unexpectedly meet their demise. With Christopher Atkins,Amanda Wyss,Ari Meyers,and RoddyMcDowell.
* SPECTERS: a slow moving and super mediocre Itlain horror outing about an unleashed demon slowly making its way to kill the members of an archeology crew that unearthed it. Star Donald Pleasence was obviously there for one day just to collect a quick paycheck.
* BLACK NOON: cool and downbeat TV movie that predates THE WICKER MAN two years earlier in depicting a priest(Roy Thinnes)who winds up in a remote town here its inhabitants are hiding a very sinister(and satanic secret). With Ray Milland,Yvette Mimieux,Gloria Grahame,and Henry Silva.
* EDGE OF THE AXE: Jose Larrez’s decent late 80s thiller about a small town terrorized by a masked killer with an axe who gorily slays his victims. Contains a very downbeat finale.
* TOXIC ZOMBIES(a.k.a.:BLOODEATERS): surprisingly good thriller about a group of folks running from a group of chemical contaminated pot farmers-turned-zombies,with CIA agents after them to cover up their chemical secrets. With plenty of gore,decent zombie make-up,and MARTIN’s John Amplas as a sympathetic agent.
Part 2 Coming Up….