As the days and weeks quickly moved along,my film viewing for this month slowly started moving from stardard genre fare to films that became more more twisted and demented(with the more I watched),many of them ranging from the likes of Jose Larrez and Leon Klimovsky to 80s slashers and 70s grindhouse/drive-in fare,to Korea to Britsh fare,to animals-gone-wild to rape/revenge cinema,to old school Sig Haig to Linda Blair, and even Cameron Micthell and Aldo Ray,for here’s 10 more reviews to tide you over…
*A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET PART 2:FREDDY’S REVENGE: many folks hate this sequel but this was one of the only sequels that displayed Freddy as a serious threat(and not a clown in later films)and explores themes of suggested sexuality(both straight and homoerotic)and an uncomfortable scene that suggest Freddy’s child molesting/killing past(the high school coach’s torture and death).
* ALLIGATOR 2:THE MUTATION: a pretty fun sequel about another radiation contamined large creature on the loose,with great performances by Joseph Bologna,Richard Lynch,Steve Railsback,and a quick cameo by Kane Hodder.
* A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 3:DREAM WARRIORS: what starts out interesting quickly descends into sheer silliness as Nancy Thompson return as a mental institute’s new dream counselor who aids a group of institutionized teens in using the powers in their dreams to fight Freddy,with creative deaths taking over the standard gore kills(as well as the use of numerous make-up FX shops,and stylish death sequences),which opened the door in the series getting more successful(and more sillier).
* DANGEROUS WORRY DOLLS: a recent Charles Band/Full Moon film about a bullied gal in a women’s prison who grabs possessions of small voodoo-looking dolls that crawl into her and drive her to kill her in-house tormentors. It’s really terrible fare that makes slipping on a banana peel and crashing through a 20 story window much fun than enduring seeing this complete dud.
* INTO THE MIRROR: remade as the extremely awful Kiefer Sutherland/Alexandre Aja film MIRRORS,this intriguing and underrated Korean film about haunted mirrors in a re-opened retail store contains plenty of thrills and unique plot twists that were ignored in its “remake” and makes this one worth seeing.
* EDGE OF SANITY: French porn filmmaker Gerard Kikoine’s super artsy and sleazy re-telling of DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE with Anthony Perkins in the dual roles,getting more manic and psychotic as he uses a cocaine-like substance to transform into the Iggy Pop-looking Hyde. Surprisingly enjoyable and contains a TWO FACES OF DR. JEKYLL-esque finale.
* HAUNTS: Herb Freed(BEYOND EVIL,GRADUATION DAY)’s utterly bizarre film about a young lady(May Britt)experiencing a mental breakdown while a scissors-wielding killer stalks her remote home town on a muderous spree. Cameron Mitchell and Aldo Ray contribute to the film(while collecting themselves a quick paycheck).
* DEATH WEEKEND(a.k.a.:HOUSE BY THE LAKE) strongly enjoyable mid 70s LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT spin-off by William Fruet(FUNERAL HOME,KILLER PARTY)which depicts Brenda Vacarro and her sleazy boyfriend trapped at his remote weekend house by a quartet of vicious hoodlum(led by Don Stroud[doing his best Krug impersonation,and strongly holdin the film together])who trash the house,beat up and slay the beau,and rape Vacarro,driving her to the climatic vengenace-fueled finale(of the hunters-becoming-the -hunted).
* BEDEVILLED: a 2010 Korean film about a bitchy and unsympathetic real estate worker who visits her island home,where her old friend is abused by both her philandering husband and the native locals,driving her to commit grisly murders upon them. It tackles and critizes old traditional customs and the dangers they hold,but could have been better had its lead character not be so unlikable.
* BLOODBATH(a.k.a.:TRACK OF THE VAMPIRE): Jack Hill and Stephanie Rothman’s enjoyable and fun combo film(which features footage from a Yoguslavian vampire film)with William Campbell(DEMENTIA 13) as an artist who commits murders to liven up his artwork. With Sanrda Knight and Sid Haig as a beatnik who(along with his friends)helps save the day.
Part 4 Coming Up(With Plenty Of More Choice Titles)…